What is TokuDB? How to install TokuDB on mysql 5.1?
TokuDB is a highly scalable, zero maintenance downtime, MySQL storage engine that delivers indexing-based query acceleration and enables hot schema modiﬁcations designed for high performance on write-intensive workloads.
TokuDB is a plugin storage engine requiring no changes to MySQL applications or code and is fully ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, and Durability) and MVCC (Multi-version Concurrency Control) compliant.
Once you install TokuDB, you can define any table to use TokuDB, MyISAM, InnoDB, or any other storage engine.
Features of TokuDB:
- Hot schema changes:
- Hotindex creation: TokuDB tables support insertions, deletions and queries with no down time while indexes are being added to that table. It uses Fractal Tree for indexing while innodb uses B-Tree
- Hot column addition and deletion: TokuDB tables support insertions, deletions and queries with minimal down time when an alter table adds or deletes columns.
- Fast recovery time (seconds, not hours or days).
- Immunity to database disorder or "aging" and the gradual performance degradation it causes.
- 5x-15x data compression. TokuDB typically achieves a 5x-15x space savings on data and indexes over InnoDB due to aggressive compression. TokuDB 5.2.7 does not compress logs.
- Fragmentation Immunity: no dump/reload downtime and no index fragmentation.
- TokuDB supports 64 bit operating systems only
- TokuDB requires at least 1GB of main memory.
- Does't Support Mysql 5.5 till now, hopefully it will within a few months.
Installation of TokuDB over mysql 5.1
- Register at Tokutek Registration page
- Download the version that supports your version from TokuDB Download Page (free for evaluation purposes or in production up to 50GB of user data). and extract it in /tmp
- Take a backup of your databases.
- Stop mysql
$ service mysql stop
- $ mv /tmp/mysql-5.1.52-tokudb-5.2.7-38674-linux-x86_64 /usr/local/mysql
- $ cd /usr/local/mysql
- $ bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql --basedir=$PWD
- $ bin/mysqld_safe --basedir=$PWD &
mysql> show engines\G *************************** 5. row *************************** Engine: TokuDB Support: YES Comment: Tokutek TokuDB Storage Engine with Fractal Tree(tm) Technology Transactions: YES XA: NO Savepoints: YES